Tasting - Snake Charmer (shiraz)


Name: Snake Charmer 
Variety: Shiraz / Syrah
Region: South Australia
Country: Australia
Year: 2014
Price: $25

Winery review: The 2014 Snake Charmer Shiraz is sourced from select old vine Shiraz vineyards in the heart of McLaren Vale; these old vines are hand harvested and made using traditional techniques, basket pressed and open fermented. The result is an exceptional, deep purple and vivid in color with bright hues - with perfumed, lifted berries and spice on the nose, intense black fruits, dark chocolate and mocha notes across the mid palate. Wonderfully rich, layered and textural, this wine literally coats the mouth - and finishes with soft, long and silky tannins and oak nuances, according to wine.com.

My review: When ordering this Shiraz, I remembered all the wine IQ lectures mentioning this variety's sweetness. Boy was that an understatement! I thought I had tried sweet wine, but nothing is as sweet as this was for me. It smells sweet, tastes extremely sweet, but also has hints of citrus flavors. This wine definitely coats the mouth, and I felt like I tasted barrel, rather than oak. It's thin contrary to what you'd think with all the flavors. One thing I thought was cool to see was the residual sugar. After my last sip, there was literally a line of sugar to the brim of my glass. Definitely a dessert wine, but I'm glad I tried this one from Australia to learn what a Shiraz is like!

I tried this wine alone with no food.

Comments