Tasting - Catena (Malbec)


Name: Catena 
Variety: Malbec
Region: Mendoza
Country: Argentina
Year: 2015
Price: $30

Winery review: The Catena Malbec presents a deep violet color with purple reflections. This microclimate blend of four unique vineyards offers intense aroma, soft texture and concentrated flavor. Deep aromas of ripe red and dark fruits are joined by delicate violet and lavender notes, with traces of vanilla and mocha. A rich, concentrated mouthfeel is highlighted by flavors of blueberries and blackberries with a touch of leather and cinnamon. The wine has well-integrated tannins, bright acidity and a flinty minerality that provides exceptional length to the finish, according to wine.com.

My review: The description above is spot on, though I don't think I'd craft those words together myself. I definitely tasted the fruit and floral flavors, and I feel like the traces of vanilla and mocha came with the wine's texture. This wine went down extremely smooth, easy to enjoy and is one I'd definitely want again. This happened to be the waiter's favorite wine, and he described it as leathery as well, like the description above. I don't have much experience with leather flavors, so I wouldn't say I agree - but I do agree with the well-integrated, balanced tannins and a great mixture of floral, fruity and a solid finish. 

I tasted this wine with a cheese board pictured above. I felt like each of the cheeses, breads and nuts combined all worked together to bring out each flavor.

Comments