Tasting - Gnarly Head (Zinfandel)




Name: Gnarly Head
Variety: Lodi Zinandel
Region: Manteca and Napa, California
Country: United States of America
Year: 2016
Price: $10

Winery review: Gnarly Head Old Vine Zinfandel is made using grapes sourced from gnarled 35-80-year-old head-trained vines. As some of the oldest vines in California, the fruit produced is exceptional, intense, and full-flavored. This intrepid Old Vine Zinfandel has a gnarly core of jammy blackberry and black cherry flavors with hints of black pepper, balanced by complex American and French oak toast. Loaded and ultra-fruity, this wine shows ripe blueberries in its aroma and flavors. Smooth and layered on the palate, it delivers a fulfilling experience. 4/5 stars, according to wine.com.

My review: From my sniff evaluation, this wine smells acidic and oak-y. I would describe it as a sweet, wood smell. After tasting, I can instantly taste blueberries and am surprised by the amount of different flavors I experience. The feeling on my tongue after swallowing it seems tart and acidic, like I just ate an orange. The oak aroma seems to be more present before tasting than being a part of the taste experience. From the critics explanation, I can see how one tastes hints of black pepper. The fruit and oak smells/taste are complimented by a "kick," though difficult to describe what it is. This wine is definitely bold, as described on the bottle.

I tasted this on its own with no food.

Comments